Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2017

My Carnivorous Plants

Carnivorous plants are awesome.  Here in western Washington we can grow pretty much any of the Sarracenia (American pitcher plants) species and hybrids as well as a few others.  As a child I was fascinated with venus-fly-traps because they moved when catching prey.  In my adulthood I've discovered that some (maybe not all) of the pitcher plant species and hybrids are far better bug catchers and they have stolen my heart.  Since my "collection" of pitcher plants is growing I think I ought to keep a list of what I've got and what I think of it.  This is that list:

Sarracenia:
*S. alata var. rubrioperculata - I think this was a named cultivar, but I didn't keep track of it.  Nice red color under the hood.
*S. leucophylla var. alba 'Hurricane Creek White' - Seedling from a cross of clone A & D.
*S. leucophylla (1) - Seedling from cross of clone AJ01 & 07-1, so far typical appearance for the species. 
*S. leucophylla (2) - Seedling from cross of clone AJ01 & 07-1,, so far typical appearance for the species.
*S. leucophylla (3) - Seedling from cross of clone AJ01 & 07-1,, so far typical appearance for the species.
*S. flava var. cuprea 'Chocolate Top' - Similar to a copper top type, but with stronger coloring.  I like it.  I plan to let mine become a large colony.  :)
*S. minor - Typical appearance for the species.
*S. minor var. okefenokeensis - Typical appearance for the variety.
*S. [(oreophilla 'Sand Mountain' x flava) x 'Redman'] 'Nereid' - A newly named hybrid from Jerry Addington which is part of a series named after Neptune's moons.  It is a medium sized plant with fat upright red pitchers with a greenish hood with red veins.  It struck me as being more productive of nectar on the neck and around the hood than the average pitcher plant.  I was lucky to get one as it wasn't for sale, but Jerry broke off a growing point from one of his stock plants for me.  Thanks Jerry!
*S. oreophila 'North Sound' x S. flava 'Chocolate Top' - Large hybrid which I bought mistakenly thinking it was S. 'Doreen's Colossus' since it looked almost identical and I didn't check the label.  It shares the same parent species (but not the same parent clones).  I had actually picked out this one thinking of the available 'Doreen's Colossus' this was the nicest looking one.  The only visible difference between the two from what I can tell is that I somehow am more drawn to this one!  :)  We'll see if it looks the same or different later in the season.
*S. oreophilla x ? - Hybrid aqcuired with known parentage which I lost.  I remember oreophilla was one parent, but it's pitcher shape is rather more like rubra or alata, very elongated.  I've noticed that this particular mix of genetics has produced an amazing yellow jacket catcher; to the point I think it is having a notable impact on the local yellow jacket population.
*S. psittacina x ??? - Upright pitchers with lots of red.  Intermediate between a lobster trap and a regular pitcher trap so it seems rather ineffective at catching bugs.  The opening is rather pinched on most pitchers with only an occasional pitcher displaying a fully open pitcher trap that could effectively catch bugs.  Its appearance is stunningly beautiful though.  Perhaps in the future it will throw an equally beautiful seedling with more effective bug catching pitchers...
*S. psittacina - typical appearance for the species.
*S. purpurea ssp. venosa - typical appearance for the species, evergreen
*S. pupurea/rosea? x minor? - similar to purpurea, but red pitchers a bit longer and more upright with hood slightly more folded than open.  Under the right lighting you can see faint polka-dot windows reminiscent of S. minor.  Probably a named variety for which I lost the name.  Evergreen.
*S. rubra ssp. rubra - small but vigorous quickly making a nice clump.
*S. x complex hybrid - probably un-named hybrid with young pitchers green with red veins.  Pitchers age to full on deep dark red when the weather cools down.  Semi-evergreen.  Flowers red.
*S. mystery seedling (1A) - Found as seedling growing under a S. flava 'Chocolate Top' from Jerry Addington's nursery.  Parents could be just about anything, but guesses will come as it matures.
*S. mystery seedling (1B) - Found as seedling growing under a S. flava 'Chocolate Top' from Jerry Addington's nursery.  Parents could be just about anything, but guesses will come as it matures.
*S. mystery seedling (1C) - Found as seedling growing under a S. flava 'Chocolate Top' from Jerry Addington's nursery.  Parents could be just about anything, but guesses will come as it matures.
*S. mystery seedling (2) - Found as seedling in my own collection.  Parents unknown, but options are probably limited to S. purpurea ssp. venosa, S. x complex hybrid and S. rubra since those are what have been blooming for me the past couple years. So far it looks to have a good bit of red in the pitchers which are slightly more prostrate than upright, but that could change as it matures.
*S. flava var. cuprea? mystery seedling (3A) - found where I had scattered some S. f. v. c. seeds a couple years ago.  May or may not be from that group of seeds.  Time will tell.
*S. flava var. cuprea? mystery seedling (3B) - found where I had scattered some S. f. v. c. seeds a couple years ago.  May or may not be from that group of seeds.  Time will tell.

Darlingtonia californica:
* Typical species type

Drosera:
*D. filiformis - Typical
*D. capensis - Typical
*D. rotundifolia - Typical

Dionaea muscipula:
*D. 'Red Dragon' - Very red form

No comments:

Post a Comment